Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

Bread crumbs......on the cheap

Do you purchase seasoned bread crumbs? I used to, but then a lightening bolt struck me one day and I figured I could make them myself! (OK, not a real lightening bolt, but a small40 watt bulb)

It came to me one day while I was making the kids sandwiches for school. I have always thrown away the "heels" of the bread and the crust (since my daughter doesn't seem to like them! {I know, spoiled right??!!}). I started keeping them in an 8x8 pan, inside the oven. They don't need a cover, since they are nice and safe from any creatures/critters. You ask yourself, "Haven't you left them in the oven while you preheated it for dinner?" Oh sure, but they do toast up quicker that way! LOL!

I've also done this with hotdog and hamburger buns that don't get eaten too.

Ms. M LOVES to help me with the "fun" part! I love my Cuisinart Food Processor! It makes is so stinkin' simple to make the crumbs, but before I got that, I did use a blender. Would also be fun to put them in a ziploc bag and take your frustrations out on them with a mallet or rolling pin...Ooooo, I like that idea! Just grind them down to the coarseness that you prefer. The Cuisinart makes the best powerder-y crumbs! I keep them in a tupperware container in the freezer.

I do use these quite a bit though. Probably the most in Salmon Patties (the kids BEG for these!). Just add 1 tsp. of an italian blend of spices to make italian bread crumbs. Would also be tasty to add lemon pepper seasoning for a fish fry, and a blend of mexican seasonings for a topping for mexican casserole.

I also have made Bread Crumb Cookies before. They don't sound too good, but they were AH-MAZING!!

BREAD CRUMB COOKIES

1 1/4c. flour
1 1/4c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 c. Cocoa
1/2 c. milk
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2/3 c. melted shortening
2 c. bread crumbs

Sift together dry ingredients. Combine wet ingredients and add to dry mixture. add melted shortening and bread crumbs. Drop by spoonful onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake @ 350 for 15 minutes until done.........

Let me know if you make these! ENJOY :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leaving comments has been known to make you richer, more successful and gorgeous! Well, maybe not, but I do love comments and I read each one! LOL!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-9462558-2