Pages

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Canvas Flag.........

So, while looking through my limited amount of holiday decorations the other day, I realized that I needed to come up with another door hanger! Of course, the frugal part in me wouldn’t allow myself to go out and purchase one, I had to make one from the supplies that I already had at home……so a challenge ensued!

I loved the burlap door hanger that I made for Easter, but alas, I didn’t have any more burlap….. crap! Hmmmmm, what else did I have that I could use? No wooden boards or wreath silhouettes, double crap!! No dollar store pool noodles to make into a wreath….triple, well you know, CRAP!


Ok, so what I had was some white canvas that I used to make some placemats for my citrus table scape (a tute is still coming on that!). I had some paint that my awesome daughter got at a yard sale for $1.00 (for like a HUGE Nike shoe box full!). Ok, red, {yep}, blue {check}, white {check, check}. A piece of wire to hang the door hanger {gotcha!}. Floral tape to tape off my design {again, from my awesome daughters stash}, and a sponge to sponge on the paint, hap-hazardly, to give it that chippy, Americana-like look…..SHaaWEET! I also cut a sponge in the shape of a star too!

Easy-Peasy directions……I’ll let the pic’s speak for themselves……(oh, by-the-by, I used two 12” x 21” pieces of white canvas):

I just sewed the two pieces together with a straight stitch, left an opening for the "stuffing". As with my Burlap Easter Egg, I stuffed it with those plastic grocery bags. A great way to recycle them! No fancy-shmancy stuff here, raw edges and everthing :)

I just poked my wire through the fabric (it was a small gauge wire), then curly-qued it in the back to make sure it stayed on.



I love the way it turned out. A super easy, and pretty quick, craft project that can be done in less than one day. It was really, really humid and stinkin’ hot while I painted it…..had my fan BLARING on me, so the paint dried pretty quickly too! The joy of this project is, I’ll be able to keep my flag on my door for Memorial Day all the way through the 4th of July! YEA!

I’m working on another table and PIANO scape project as well. Will post pictures of those when they are done. As always, thanks so much for stopping by! I love your comments…….have a very BLESSED MEMORIAL DAY and GOD BLESS AMERICA! Sharing this on-going project with the following AWESOME link-up parties!!!

CraftOManiac
TaterTots and Jello
Design Dazzle
Uncommon Designs
Savvy Southern Style
The 36th Avenue
Five Days, Five Ways
French Country Cottage
I Should be Mopping the Floor
Be sure to go by and see all of the other great ideas for DIY crafting!

9 comments:

  1. A pillow on a door is pure genius!! Love this. I live in a military community and am constantly looking for all things patriotic to honor all of my Army friends! I would be delighted for you to share this with my readers over at Mop It Up Mondays: http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/05/mop-it-up-mondays-18.html

    {HUGS},
    kristi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Kristi! LOL! I love the pillow idea too! Thanks so much for the invite to the Mop it up Mondays.....I'm heading that way now ;)
      Blessings,
      Torri

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful! And how clever are you to stuff it with your old recyclables! Hope you will share with my Pink Hippo Party @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2012/05/pink-hippo-party-80.html
    I am your newest follower~
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by Amie! ;) I'll be right over to share with your party! Thanks so much for the invite ;)
      Blessings,
      Torri

      Delete
  3. So glad you linked up to the party!! Featuring you today at the Patriotic Round-Up! {http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/05/patriotic-round-up-get-ready-for-summer.html#}

    Thanks bunches for stopping by & visiting!
    {HUGS},
    kristi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here from Savvy Southern's party, I love your project! What a great idea to re-use shopping sacks that way, you are creative. Now following, would love for you to visit and follow me too :)

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tanya! Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment......going to go follow you now ;)
      Torri

      Delete
  5. This is beautiful! Such a clever twist on door decor! Thank you for linking up to Uncommon! featuring this on our FB page tonight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so pretty.. I love your black front door too!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving comments has been known to make you richer, more successful and gorgeous! Well, maybe not, but I do love comments and I read each one! LOL!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-9462558-2